When it’s time for a loved one to transition to a memory care community, you may be unsure of where to turn or what to look for. There is no shortage of options, which can make this decision extremely difficult. When you add in seniors’ preferences, desires and changing abilities, it can be even more difficult. If you’re looking for a memory care community, we can help you and your loved one find the perfect fit.
Tips for Choosing a Memory Care Community
When searching for a memory care community, it’s important to choose right the first time so you can decrease the likelihood of needing to make a move further down the line. Below are just a few of the many things you should consider when choosing a memory care community for yourself or a loved one.
- Even if you or a loved one aren’t showing signs of memory loss, start researching early on. Many seniors wait until the last minute, or until they are nearing the point when they’ll need care, however, this is not often a good decision. This makes it harder to choose the right community and can even leave someone else needing to make the decision for you. Begin early and follow the rest of the below steps!
- Make a list of what you want and need. Does engaging programming make your list? What about delicious dining and dedicated care? You’ll want to choose a memory care community that can check off as many things on your list as possible.
- Determine what the community’s memory care programming is like. The right memory care programming can make all the difference in the care you receive and the lifestyle you enjoy. For example, you want programming that is created based on your wants and needs all while living an engaging, rewarding and empowering life. Here, we partner with the Hearthstone Institute to provide an exceptional experience with Dr. John Zeisel’s I’m Still Here® This programming allows our residents to live a joyful, fulfilling and active lifestyle in spite of cognitive challenges.
- Ensure the community is specially designed for those with memory loss. You want to know you are in the hands of people you can trust, who are specially trained and offer care in an environment that’s created specifically for you. Here, we are among one of only 27 communities that are a Memory Care Center of Excellence. This means that our team receives in-depth training and is able to provide you the care you deserve in your own private apartment, complete with features that simply make life easier for you.
- Take a virtual tour or talk to their team. If you’re unable to visit in person, consider taking a couple of virtual tours to get an idea of how you’ll fit. Talk to other residents and families over the phone, hear their experiences and get a good look into what life can be like.
Stay tuned for part two of this blog, where you can learn more about how to make the transition to memory care easier and more successful after you find the perfect community for you!
Experience The Sterling Life
At The Grande at Sterling Estates of West Cobb, we provide an exceptional experience for those in need of a Memory Care Center of Excellence. Our residents can enjoy everything they need to live engaging and fulfilling lives – from an array of programs and activities and a variety of amenities to the peace of mind of dedicated care and a world of possibilities for enhanced wellness each day.
With spacious features that include a fitness center, dining room, and a greenhouse as well as small, easy-to-navigate neighborhoods for residents to enjoy, they can experience safety and comfort as well as the independence to explore.
As a partner with the Hearthstone Institute, we provide Dr. John Zeisel’s I’m Still Here® programming to change the way residents live. Each day, they can experience a joyful, fulfilling and active life while experiencing the care they deserve. To learn more, contact us today!
Call us today at 770-383-1779 for more information.